Wednesday, June 24, 2009

menu plan monday.

I know, it's Wednesday, not Monday. But I just planned our menus through July. What a relief! I'll be using a lot of what's in the freezer, garden, and pantry (saving $) and of course we'll be doing our usual Cheap Pizza Night on Mondays. My family loves breakfast for dinner, so that's always on Friday nights. I planned stuff for the grill on Saturdays, but it's so crazy-hot out there, I'll have to ask my grill chef if he actually wants to do that. So here's the rest of the week:

Wednesday - Chicken tenders, Mashed Potatoes, Salad
Thursday - Bean Soup (it's in the freezer), Cornbread, Salad, Strawberries
Friday - Breakfast for Dinner (Scrambled Eggs, Hash Browns, Bacon, Biscuits, Fruit)
Saturday - Smoked Chickens, Smoked Potatoes, Salad, Watermelon
Sunday - Chalupa Casserole (I'll try to post the recipe very soon - this is a favorite with everyone!), Guacamole, Salad, Fruit

Stuff from the garden:
I have some yummy-looking squash in the garden that we'll be eating in a variety of ways...I especially love it on the grill. I only have one plant right now, but it's cranking out the squash! I pulled out four more plants last week because they were making weird, bumpy, orange squash that I didn't like. I think someone messed up at the store where I bought them and labeled them wrong. I should have just planted seeds, but I just love when I start my garden in the spring to see those baby plants all in their rows...sort of immediate gratification for gardeners, I guess.

I planted the zucchini very late, so we won't have any for a few weeks, at least. (I just noticed that it's 104 degrees - I better water my baby zucchinis.)

I just pulled up my green bean plants this week. They were making good beans, but they were a mess and you know I hate a mess! I'm going to be planting some new ones with plant supports in place to avoid the mass confusion of my first batch.

There are a lot of tiny cucumbers out there, but with the lack of rain, I'm not sure how they will taste. I have been watering, but I think they prefer actual rainwater...

I know I haven't posted anything creative since I moved to Blogger...I've been working on my scrap space! It's almost clean and then I'll get busy making fun stuff again. I did just do some things for the Prism booth for CHA and a project for the Fiskars Website for July, so I'll be posting those in the weeks to come.

One more thing. Do you hang your bicycles from the ceiling in the garage?

{He is like a well-watered plant in the sunshine, spreading its shoots over the garden. Job 8:16}

2 comments:

Shannon said...

I menu plan in spurts. Life is so much better with the plan and so I don't know why I don't keep up with it better... and as of very recently, my parents have hung bicycles from their garage ceiling. Just today we pulled into their driveway and Mackensie said, "MOM! My bike is hanging from the CEILING!!!"

stephanie said...

Hee hee, there is NO place to hang our bicycles in our garage. :)

Glad to see you here!

P.S. Chalupa casserole sounds yummy. Can't wait for the recipe!